[Pachi] Scoring

Gareth Davies gareth.davies at lmh.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 11:45:17 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've been using pachi for a short time now.  I ran into a problem yesterday where pachi (with the uct engine) passed very close to the end of a won game only to lose by 18.5 points due to a score counting technicality.  The root of the problem should be obvious from the sgf.

This lead me to start digging through the source code and I started to get lost in data and confused by dead groups.  In particular I cannot make sense of the gtp command final_score when run on the result of score.gtp.  Is there some difference between a board state that pachi wants to pass on and a board state that's fit for final_score?

Thanks,
Gareth