[Pachi] Hardware, configuration, and donations

Gareth Davies gareth.davies at lmh.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 12:43:23 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've been looking through the documentation but am having a hard time figuring out what aspects of hardware are most important to pachi's (I assume uct) playing strength.  For example, suppose pachi is running on a dual core 1.6 GHz 32-bit system and has 1 GB or RAM to play with.  If I could choose to upgrade one of the following four aspects of my hardware which would improve pachi the most?

quad core
3.2 GHz
64-bit
2 GB RAM

I'm considering renting some computing power for pachi (My own server uses a single Intel Atom processor).  Anything you could recommend?  If you have ideal processing power at your disposal then I'd love to rent some of that using the distributed module (my budget is limited as I'm a student but I might be able to go up to 60 GBP per month).

My configuration question is simple.  If I pit pachi against itself, on the same hardware, one using the joseki dictionary and the other not, which would be more likely to win?  Would the answer depend on the hardware?

Finally donations.  Is it possible to donate Bitcoins?  http://bitcoin.org/.  If you haven't heard of it or have a policy against it then don't worry; it's just my preferred way of sending donations so I thought I'd ask.  I'm usually happy to donate more and more frequently with a Bitcoin option because it's so easy to do but VISA will be fine if preferred.

Thanks,
Gareth