[Pachi] Scoring

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Fri Aug 26 13:22:31 CEST 2011

  Hi!

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 12:06:10PM +0100, Gareth Davies wrote:
> The problem I'm having is the large central area pachi has made but not fully sealed off.  All the empty points in this moyo reach both live White and live Black stones and so can/should be considered dame.  Indeed, this is what the comment in the board_official_score function says in the file board.c.  I've also added some simple printf lines to my copy of board.c to try and understand how the score is calculated and, indeed, the spaces in the centre are coloured as 0 in the array ownermap when board_official_score is called and do not contribute to White's score.

  Oh I see, L2 is missing!

  Still, the result seems correct - white's huge center territory is not
counted, but it is still enough, since S3 is not considered dead. You
need to agree on dead/alive stones with Pachi during scoring - if not,
status must be clarified on the board and at that point, Pachi would
surely close off L2.