[Pachi] timely advice?

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Thu Jul 21 22:07:09 CEST 2011

  Hi!

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 09:47:13AM +0100, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
> over ten years of bug filing has taught me developers work to their own agenda...
> I'd like to start incorporating some more of your work and ideas, including criticality,
> and would appreciate comments on my recent emails.
>
> in particular regarding the difference between territory values generated for pachi and player moves,
> ie player moves appear to be more closely related to nominal values, whereas pachi's appear anomalous, whether moves or frames.

  I'm sorry, I quite overestimated the amount of time I could dedicate
to the visualization effort, it has to be very low-priority for me as my
thesis is taking a lot of time and some of my ideas for generating money
to put food on the table are not working out, so I sort of need to focus
on that now too. :-)

  I will be happy to make tweaks in Pachi's output to give you the data
you need, but it seems you will have to take it all the way from there.
Also, unfortunately much of the time I'm finding it extremely difficult
to understand your wording, so I'd appreciate if you could take extra
time to make sure your writing is clear and well readable.

> also the simple comments generator as described relies on 2 or 4> point changes in territory score,
> however these are often local moves with direct results such as a capture,
> my expectation would be that excellent moves would have subtle causes.
> please take a look:

  I like the comments idea. In practice, the comments often seem to look
fairly strange, but if it's just Pachi misevaluating the position, hard
to do anything about it... Perhaps it would be better to watch changes
in winrate instead of territory.

> peepo.com has incorporated a number of new ideas, and moved to canvas which renders about 50 times faster than SVG, on this box anyway.

  Unfortunately, it feels slower than before for me now, or at least
certainly not faster. Overally, the site is very sluggish here, but
I don't know if it's your of Firefox' fault. :-)

  By the way, in a game I played until about half an hour ago, I clicked
too quickly and got into some race condition where it said I need to
wait for the opponent to make a move but it was me to play. I couldn't
recover from that.