[Pachi] pondering http

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Fri Apr 27 02:01:48 CEST 2012

  Hi!

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 06:15:00PM +0000, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
> could you explain the mechanics of pachi and pondering, briefly?

  After genmove produces a move, the appropriate tree node is
promoted to tree root, the tree is garbage collected and search
is run on the background, with the same threaded mechanism as
foreground search. (In case of foreground search, the main thread
periodically checks whether we should stop the search, prints out
regular progress report etc.)

> it seems to me that the user could really benefit from receiving latest hints and comments just before they play.

  It would be fairly easy for someone to add a GTP command that
triggers some kind of report on the current opinion of Pachi
based on pondering.

> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /Users/jaymini/pachi_2/pachi reporting=jsonbig,threads=2,pondering
>
> output halts after move is returned
> is this correct?
>
> eg I would expect reporting might continue to be sent as frames in this case.
> assuming reporting stops, is there any difficulty in patching this?

  Very long ago, this was the case but it was somewhat confusing and
also there were significant changes in the threading code. Right now,
I think GTP command would be better solution.

	Smart data structures and dumb code works a lot better
	than the other way around.  -- Eric S. Raymond