[Pachi] [ANNOUNCE] Pachi 10.00 "Satsugen"

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sun Aug 12 23:29:29 CEST 2012

  Hi!

  I have tagged a new version of Pachi. Much progress has been made
since the previous release and Pachi plays not just stronger, but
prettier than before, thanks to its pattern database (that you must
download separately, since it is very large file that will also take
a lot of memory).

  New Pachi also features support for new playing mode maximize_score
(overally weaker but with much better yose) and JSON search reporting
for integration to third party applications.  Windows and MacOSX
portability has been much improved thanks to many contributors.
Strength has been also improved thanks to completely rewritten ladder
reader and ko improvements by Jean-loup.

  Compared to previous release, Pachi will now ponder (think on
opponent's time) by default - this means it will use the CPU even
if it's your turn! Disable it by passing pondering=0. Also, it will
now take 15s/turn by default regardless of your hardware, instead of
playing quicker on faster hardware and slow on low-end hardware.

  The way forward now is probably giving our regression testsuite some
more attention and improving Pachi's tsumego. I would also like to try
again to get patterns in playouts and liberty maps working. I'm much
looking forward to merging Neil Mclean's improved GTP interface and
gogui support.

  Many thanks to all contributors to Pachi as well as all players. Even
if you cannot program, annotated testcases (SGF snapshots of situations
where Pachi fails spectacularly) are much appreciated.

  Happy playing,