[Pachi] pondering http

jonathan chetwynd jay at peepo.com
Sat Feb 25 19:15:00 CET 2012

Petr,

could you explain the mechanics of pachi and pondering, briefly?

it seems to me that the user could really benefit from receiving latest hints and comments just before they play.

(gdb) run
Starting program: /Users/jaymini/pachi_2/pachi reporting=jsonbig,threads=2,pondering

output halts after move is returned
is this correct?

eg I would expect reporting might continue to be sent as frames in this case.
assuming reporting stops, is there any difficulty in patching this?

peepo server writes parameters, moves and genmove to stdin then ends after stdout / stderr
as http is stateless**, one has to be careful that processes are terminated.

I would like to experiment with pondering reports to understand  better,

as always many thanks for your continuing patience,

kind regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

~:" jay at peepo.com
http://www.peepo.com

+44 (0) 20 7978 1764

**http is a stateless protocol, does not require the server to retain information or status about each user for the duration of multiple requests
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext_Transfer_Protocol