[Pachi] Multiprocessor

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Thu Jan 5 00:17:32 CET 2012

  Hi!

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 06:01:34PM +0100, Jean-m. a. wrote:
> Do you think it should be possible to implement an other function to
> pachi where it give you an estimate of its strenght according the
> hardware configuration and the time than you give him.  Or at least if
> not an absolute ranking a ranking compared to pachi with only ten
> second and one proc.

  If you run Pachi now, it prints a lot of output about its move search.
One of the last lines is:

	genmove in 16.52s (4852 games/s, 1213 games/s/thread)

  The important number is the "4852 games/s", this is the value that
essentially defines playing strength if you limit Pachi's moves by time.

  Short version, cookbook recipe:

  (i) Start Pachi with empty board and make it play the first move.
(Give it enough time, too!) Get the games/s number. You may want
to do this a couple of times and take an average.

  (ii) Compute this equation:

	13.3 - log(<measured games/s number>)/log(2)

(you can e.g. enter this as Google Search). Round it to get a rough
estimation of KGS kyu rank of your Pachi. (If you have a very fast
computer, around 0 is 1 dan, etc.)

  For example, on one computer, my Pachi prints:

	genmove in 12.83s (1316 games/s, 1316 games/s/thread)

Google says that

	13.3 - (log(1 316) / log(2)) = 2.93805623

therefore my Pachi could be slightly better than 3 kyu.

  Notes:

  Here is a short table of values for PachiIchi, PachiNi and PachiShi
that played many thousands of games in The Ranking Room of KGS:

	games/s  KGS rank
	1350	 3k (very good 3k)
	2450     2k (good 2k)
	4800     1k (average 1k)

  As you can see in the recently published Pachi paper, there is a
general strong exponential relation between # of games and Elo rating;
the increase is roughly 100 Elo per doubling, though for much weaker
Pachi version, this relation is less clear.

  It would be possible to make this more user-friendly, of course.  This
might make for a nice introduction project for developers who would like
to contribute to Pachi. :-)

  Patches are always welcome!

  Happy playing,

	The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will
	last at least until we've finished building it.