[Pachi] Games with Handicap 9

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Fri Jan 20 19:08:36 CET 2012

  Hi!

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 05:48:55PM +0100, Heinz Andernach wrote:
> Pachi resigns Handicap 9 games without playing. Pachi will get
> better ranking on KGS without this "behaviour". Witnessed some
> minutes ago this strange strategy on KGS

  This should not be happenning with the ranking room Pachi instances
since they use dynamic komi.

  PachIW (which BTW seems to be seriously aspiring to 2d rank thanks to
the new pattern code and other new heuristics!) is not using the dynamic
komi code due to some problems with recent modifications of the code.
Because of that, it may resign H9 games because the initial winrate is
too low.

  Patches for this are welcome, but I'm unlikely to look into this
myself, especially since this should not be an issue with dynamic komi.
At least I hope so!

  It should not affect rating since at most H6 games are ranked on KGS.

	The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will
	last at least until we've finished building it.