[Pachi] win32 build performance

Paul paulsteyn1 at afrihost.co.za
Sat Jan 21 16:24:12 CET 2012

Hi linfk,

I've also been working on a windows build of Pachi using MinGW.
Unfortunately I haven't had much time for it for a while now, and there
were several issues that needed coding around, which I haven't resolved
yet.

I'd be quite interested to know how you solved a few issues, namely:

1) Did you use -mthreads option on MinGW, or any other threading
options?
I'm still talking on the MinGW mailing list to determine exactly what
threading options one should use to port pthreads; there is no clear
consensus right now. (I'm building another ported app with MinGW, and
can't recall if -mthreads was necessary for Pachi or not, I know it was
used on at least one of them, if not both)

2) what did you use for inet_ntop?
Windows has an InetNtop function, but MinGW doesn't implement this. I
know Petr said this is not that important, but did you just remove it,
or recode it, or what?

3) What did you use for nanosleep?
There is no nanosleep on Windows. Petr again indicated that just using
Sleep should be fine. Is this what you used, or did you use
timeBeginPeriod or one of the other higher granularity alternatives?

What other sort of portability modifications did you do?
Are you planning on writing a HOWTO for it?

I was planning to look at this again, although now I might not need to.
Let me know if there is any other stuff you need help with, maybe
between us we can get more/better results.

Paul