[Pachi] win32 build performance

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sat Jan 21 16:26:46 CET 2012

  Hi!

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 10:43:03PM +0800, linfk wrote:
>  I managed to build a win32 version of Pachi today.  With some portability modification to the code, I successfuly built the 9.0.1 version with MinGW.

  Great. Could you please post the patch?

> Now It works on windows, but still has some performance problems.
> It runs on a pc with intel Q6600 cpu, 4G ram.
> With the following params:
> -t _1500 threads=4, max_tree_size=2048
> the win32 version only reaches about 2000 games/s (500 games/s/thread).
> On the same PC, I also have a linux version of Pachi running in a VMware virtual machine. With the same params, even in a vm, it reaches 4000 games/s (1000 games/s/thread).
> I tried to tune up the optimization level option of the compiler, however any optimization make pachi crash when it's thinking.

  This is likely to be a code issue. We could take a look at the patch,
perhaps the problem will be visible. Does a single-threaded version
crash as well?

	The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will
	last at least until we've finished building it.