[Pachi] Enhancement: Pass as signal to resign

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon Jan 23 17:24:08 CET 2012

  Hi!

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 04:01:05PM +0000, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
> please would you consider enabling pachi to pass when significantly in the lead?
>
> A pro teacher might do this to indicate time to resign,
> and being a bot pachi wont mind losing or continuing to fight on and win...
>
> I do realise this is not central to your concerns regarding improving playing strength,
> however from a humanitarian perspective it is a reasonable option, and may be an easyfix?
>
> I also consider that this type of thinking is helpful.

  That sounds rather extraordinary. :) It's not completely trivial since
you may not always pass (there are some absolute sente moves even when
you are far ahead); you would first have to do a quick search with pass
as a move to make sure that this does not lose, then if that fails do
a regular search, all that without throwing away your tree and making
sure you do not lose on time...

	The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will
	last at least until we've finished building it.