[Pachi] Pattern

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon Mar 26 10:42:39 CEST 2012

  Hi!

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:33:41AM +0200, Jean-m. a. wrote:
> I tried to use the patterns but without any success:
> I did not find how to unzip the files. I googled the extension but found
> nothing.

  These tools can unpack xz (seemingly the new successor to gzip and
bzip2 as the standard compression tool in GNU systems):

	http://tukaani.org/xz/

> Just to be sure the procedure is to put the files patterns.prob.xz
> et patterns.stat.xz in pachi repertory.
> To unzip both,
> and just to launch pachi without any option regarding this files.

  Yes, that is correct. More precisely, the files must be in Pachi's
working directory when Pachi is started (unless you pass options saying
otherwsie).

> I noticed that the versiob of pachi 9.01 is better than the version 9.99 at
> least
> on my hardware (4 cpu). So I don't know if it is because I don't use the
> pattern files.

  Interesting! How did you measure that?

> I saw that pachi won  a lot of games on kgs for the computer tournament.
> How did that end?

  There is a webpage for this tournament; in the end, Pachi's third game
against Zen was its only loss and Pachi won the tournament. :-)

	Smart data structures and dumb code works a lot better
	than the other way around.  -- Eric S. Raymond