[Pachi] Pattern

Jean-m. a. jm.arbona at iecb.u-bordeaux.fr
Mon Mar 26 11:04:27 CEST 2012

2012/3/26 Petr Baudis <pasky at ucw.cz>

>  Hi!
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:33:41AM +0200, Jean-m. a. wrote:
> > I tried to use the patterns but without any success:
> > I did not find how to unzip the files. I googled the extension but found
> > nothing.
>
>   These tools can unpack xz (seemingly the new successor to gzip and
> bzip2 as the standard compression tool in GNU systems):
>
>        http://tukaani.org/xz/
>
> Thanks I will try tonight

> > Just to be sure the procedure is to put the files patterns.prob.xz
> > et patterns.stat.xz in pachi repertory.
> > To unzip both,
> > and just to launch pachi without any option regarding this files.
>
>   Yes, that is correct. More precisely, the files must be in Pachi's
> working directory when Pachi is started (unless you pass options saying
> otherwsie).
>
> > I noticed that the versiob of pachi 9.01 is better than the version 9.99
> at
> > least
> > on my hardware (4 cpu). So I don't know if it is because I don't use the
> > pattern files.
>
>   Interesting! How did you measure that?

I played a lot of game with pachi 9.01 ( about 100) and only recently I
came to win about one half of the games.
When I tried pachi 9.99  (two weeks ago) I played 5 games and won them all,
besides I killed big
groups, something that never happened with the 9.01 version. So I tried to
install the pattern and as I failed
I went back to the version 9.01 and lose one half on the games (so I did
not improve unfortunatly).
I don't know if this has to do something with my style of play, but at
least against
me pachi 9.01 is in  my opinion more than one stone stronger than the 9.99
version

> > I saw that pachi won  a lot of games on kgs for the computer tournament.
> > How did that end?
>
>   There is a webpage for this tournament; in the end, Pachi's third game
> against Zen was its only loss and Pachi won the tournament. :-)

Hehe congrats! I saw  one game versus Zen and it was really good, even if
it seems
that pachi was tenukiing to much and could have loose a big part.