[Pachi] Pachi app for android

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Tue Apr 2 23:25:50 CEST 2013

  Hi!

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:17:37PM +0200, Emmanuel Mathis wrote:
> For those who are interested, I just created a Pachi (10.00) app for
> android. It should run on all devices running android 2.1 or higher.
>
> The APK is available here :
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-pachi/files/
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-pachi/files/>
>
> The source code is currently available on my Github :
> https://github.com/Daimas/android-pachi
> <https://github.com/Daimas/android-pachi>
>
> I would like to get some feedback from other users to know if it is
> stable or not (I'm very worried about memory issues). The app
> automatically sends me crash reports, so please turn your internet
> connection on if you try it.
> The UI code is not clean but it's currently an alpha build. I used
> the same UI as my other app (ElyGo) so some buttons/settings don't
> do anything, but I will work on that later.

  That's awesome! Thanks a lot for this work, I will try it out as soon
as I can. :-)

  Can I link this project from Pachi's homepage?

> On my phone, Pachi is quite strong on 9x9 (I'm 5 dan and lose
> sometimes) but on 13x13 or higher its strength quickly decreases, I
> think that on a 19x19 it is almost 10 kyu.
> I know about pattern files to improve its strength, but according to
> the documentation they require a lot of memory. I'll try to see what
> I can do.

  The pattern hash tables are huge, IIRC 64M or 256M (or maybe sum of
these). This is necessary to keep the number of collisions with the used
number of patterns manageable. However, I think you could still get a
good strength increase even from a much smaller set of patterns - just
keep only first N lines of the patterns.prob file (the patterns are
sorted by number of occurences, i.e. approximation of importance).
When loading patterns, Pachi will print out some hash table statistics
that should help you tune the hash size (value of spatial_hash_bits in
patternsp.h).

	For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear,
	simple, and wrong.  -- H. L. Mencken