[Pachi] Pachi app for android

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Wed Apr 3 01:35:19 CEST 2013

  Hi!

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 11:17:37PM +0200, Emmanuel Mathis wrote:
> For those who are interested, I just created a Pachi (10.00) app for
> android. It should run on all devices running android 2.1 or higher.
>
> The APK is available here :
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-pachi/files/
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-pachi/files/>
>
> The source code is currently available on my Github :
> https://github.com/Daimas/android-pachi
> <https://github.com/Daimas/android-pachi>
>
> I would like to get some feedback from other users to know if it is
> stable or not (I'm very worried about memory issues). The app
> automatically sends me crash reports, so please turn your internet
> connection on if you try it.
> The UI code is not clean but it's currently an alpha build. I used
> the same UI as my other app (ElyGo) so some buttons/settings don't
> do anything, but I will work on that later.
>
> On my phone, Pachi is quite strong on 9x9 (I'm 5 dan and lose
> sometimes) but on 13x13 or higher its strength quickly decreases, I
> think that on a 19x19 it is almost 10 kyu.

  What influence does the "level" setting have? Or is it a no-op so far?

  It seems that you run Pachi with fixed time of 20s per move. I think
it would be much more comfortable for the user and also better for
Pachi's strength if you let Pachi manage its time and limit the time per
game, e.g. -t _600. You can set the total time e.g. as

	boardsize^2 * (level / 2)

or something less linear with regards to the level.

	For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear,
	simple, and wrong.  -- H. L. Mencken