[Pachi] Questions after succeeded to compile Pachi by VC2012 on Windows

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Wed Aug 14 04:02:51 CEST 2013

  Hi!

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 01:09:01AM +0000, Yang, Jian wrote:
> 6) 8GB  is maximum memory size  for GPU gfx card till now. 16GB will appear in 1 to 2 years.
>    The whole tree node can be allocated in GPU only since GPU has more memory bandwidth than CPU, for example, 512 bits GDDR5 5.5G has 352GB/s while CPU with 128bits DDR3 2G = 32 GB/s.

  It's not the question of memory size or throughput. The fundamental
issue for a data structure that you need to access frequently is access
latency, and that's going to be fairly huge.

  A possible game-changer may be the APU direction and possibly fast
access to CPU caches, but I think that's still several iterations away
for both AMD and Intel. Meanwhile, another *really* interesting piece
of hardware for Computer Go is probably Intel Phi.