[Pachi] Pachi became strongest Go program on desktop systems. Are there any prospects?

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sun Sep 7 11:05:40 CEST 2014

  Hi!

  Thanks for pinging me on IRC about replying to this. :-)

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 06:55:11PM +0200, Stanisław Halik wrote:
> On 2014-08-08 17:53, Petr Baudis wrote:
> >>For analysis while You get fixes and strength enhancements it may be helpful to see played games from here: ..snip.. (most of them played with 2 minutes per move, 2 cores and 8 GB of memory for each program).
> >>You can compare how stronger became Pachi, for example, by sparring its versions with MoGo4.86 (./mogo --19 --time 120 --pondering 1 --nbThreads 2 --collectorLimitTreeSize 800000 --loadOB totalOB.ob). For example also, in these games Pachi compiled with: DOUBLE=1 in Makefile; spatial_hash_bits 30  in patternsp.h and used Patterns: gogod-handikgspachi-iter; was launched with: ./pachi -f book.dat -t 120 threads=2,max_tree_size=4096 (may be there are more strong launch variant for this amount of time, cores and memory?).
> >   Hmm, any particular reason for setting DOUBLE=1 ?  I think that will
> >just slow things down, it should make sense only for huge numbers of
> >playouts.

  N.B. it turns out that with these settings, the playout count actually
does reach one million, which is about where DOUBLE=1 might start making
sense.

> That is, will make locality worse?

  Yes, and IIRC in some places our float ops gets vectorized and that
should go faster with half the bit size.

				Petr Baudis