[Pachi] compile for win64

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Sep 30 06:52:43 CEST 2014

I've downloaded the win32 package which works fine out of the box with
GoGUI on Win7.

But if I try to increase the amount of memory, or if I try to give it
pattern files, it crashes with some error related to memory allocation.
I suppose this is because the binary is 32 bit, which cannot allocate
very large amounts of memory.

I've emailed Neal Mclean, and he concurred that this is the most likely
explanation for the crashes. But he doesn't remember much about how he
compiled it on Windows.

I might be willing to setup a clean Win7 instance and give compilation a
try, but I might need some guidance. Is it Cygwin, or Mingw, or
something else? Any special compile flags for 64 bit? Any libraries I need?

P.S.:

I am also contemplating to package Pachi for Ubuntu, since that's the
platform I'm most comfortable with, maybe even try and push it into the
official repos, but... one thing at a time. Right now my computers are
running Windows and OS X, and for the Mac I have a working binary via a
Sen:te Goban extension pack that comes with a Pachi executable that
works well regardless of what parameters I try. But my Windows machine
is probably faster, so I want a binary there with all the features.

I've also tried to compile it on OS X, failed, but like I said, I don't
care since I have a working binary there. Maybe I'll try that after I
solve all of the above - not very soon I guess.

Thanks.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/