[Pachi] [ANNOUNCE] Pachi 11.00 "Retsugen"

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon Apr 13 19:18:31 CEST 2015

  Hi!

  I have tagged a new version of Pachi after quite some delay.  There
is not that many changes, and 90% of this work happenned in 2013 or
earlier, but I just wanted to create a reference point right now.

  So this version is all about minor improvements.  There have been
minor infrastructure improvements (including *much* better virtual
loss, giving a large strength boost for 24+-core machines), heuristic
fixes (wrt. eye detection, nakade etc.), and a lot of re-tuning
and more fine-grained parameter tuning (like per-3x3-pattern gammas).

  Pachi played on KGS (as account pachi) with this codebase for a few
days, running on my home computer (8xFX8350) and it holds a quite
comfortable 2d rank; I suspect it would be 2d even on weaker hardware.

  Thanks for contributions go to Stanislaw Halik, D. Cooper Stevenson
and a few others!

  P.S.: Frankly, I don't know if I'll ever find time to work on Pachi
again (one reason why I'm doing this release now) - I keep hoping.  If
so, I'm unlikely to work on "mundane" stuff like testsuites or heuristic
tweaks, but keep looking for more revolutionary algorithmic ideas or
give the probdist-based playouts another whirl.

  P.P.S.: If Neil McLean or someone else could contribute Windows
binaries for the new release, that would be awesome!

  Happy playing,