[Pachi] Playing style

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Fri Apr 1 15:05:11 CEST 2016

  Hi!

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 02:43:04PM +0200, Norbert Vegh wrote:
> I have a question the has been on my mind for some time. I started to learn
> go by playing against Mogo, the first MC go engine. Mogo was relatively
> strong but had a very alien style. After it ran out of book moves it would
> favour strange central moves above the fourth line. In contrast the newer MC
> programs like Pachi play very human moves. Why is that?

  I think it has two aspects:

  (i) Quite simply, as the programs get stronger, they play less strange
moves, because humans probably aren't all *that* bad at Go.  We'll have
a better idea about this when the rumord AlphaGo-AlphaGo games are
published.

  (ii) All the new programs use large-scale patterns extracted from pro
(and potentially strong ama) games, including Pachi (if you set it up).
This is important for the playing strength, and is clearly reflected in
the shapes the program plays.

--
				Petr Baudis
	If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,