[Pachi] Playing style

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Fri Apr 1 15:50:32 CEST 2016

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 03:43:44PM +0200, Norbert Vegh wrote:
> Hm, I don't use the patterns under http://pachi.or.cz/pat/. Are there some
> defaults patterns that pachi uses?
> I think I tried once having pachi play against mogo, and did not see that
> huge difference in strength. I might try it again.

Without these patterns downloaded, Pachi uses only a set of several
internal 3x3 patterns like Mogo does.  I highly recommend using the
large patterns, they should make Pachi IIRC maybe 150-200 Elo stronger.

> Anway, I much prefer
> playing againts pachi as the games look human and esthetically more
> pleasing. Games with mogo get very chaotic.

Perhaps Pachi's inherent parameter tuning also makes it prefer territory
intrinsically - we use quite a high prior for third-line moves.
I haven't closely watched Pachi without patterns so I guess I forgot.

--
				Petr Baudis
	If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,