[Pachi] Out of Memory error with pattern files on Win32

Wayne Vucenic waynev at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:05:36 CET 2016

I'm running pachi-11.00-win32 on Windows 7 SP 1 64 Bit.

Without the pattern files it works great.  However, I'd really like to use
the gogod-handikgspachi-iter pattern files.  With these files, pachi
crashes on a malloc error while calculating its first move:

C:\Program Files (x86)\pachi-11.00-win32>pachi
Random seed: 1454232507
Loaded spatial dictionary of 1064482 patterns.
Loaded 3021829 pattern-probability pairs.
name
IN: name
= Pachi UCT

version
IN: version
= 11.00 (Retsugen): If you believe you have won but I am still playing,
please help me understand by capturing all dead stones. Anyone can send me
'winrate' in private chat to get my assessment of the position.  Have a
nice game!

play B D4
IN: play B D4
tree.c:85: tree_init: OUT OF MEMORY malloc(1181116007)

The malloc is for just over 1GB, which should probably work unless a lot of
mallocing has already been done, as Win32 programs run in a 2GB address
space.

It looks like some command line options might be helpful, but I couldn't
figure out just which ones to use.

Thanks,

Wayne