[Pachi] Ubuntu package

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon Jul 11 17:18:25 CEST 2016

  Hi!

  That's cool!

  Thanks for this.

  What about checking the debian/ directory into Pachi itself?

  I'm not sure pachi-engine is the best name; I wouldn't guess by that
name that it's Pachi the go-playing program rather than something else.
Any thoughts on something like "pachi-go" or whatever?  But if it's too
much work to rename it, never mind.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 04:05:32PM +0200, lemonsqueeze wrote:
> I moved the packages to a dedicated ppa,
> Install instructions become:
>
>     $ sudo add-apt-repository 'ppa:lemonsqueeze/pachi'
>     $ sudo apt-get update
>     $ sudo apt-get install pachi-engine
>

> On 07/08/2016 11:30 PM, lemonsqueeze wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I was thinking it'd be cool to have a ubuntu package for Pachi, would
> >make it more accessible for people who are new to Pachi / wouldn't
> >normally compile it for themselves. Also didn't realize at first, with
> >dcnn support even small laptops can run Pachi at dan strength now, this
> >could be potentially interesting for a lot of people i guess.
> >
> >So the idea was: 3 packages for pachi, pachi-data and caffe so you could
> >apt-get install pachi and have Pachi all setup with dcnn, large patterns
> >and all in no time.
> >
> >I had a vague idea packaging caffe was going to be hellish but thought
> >it might be worth a shot anyway. Here's what i got so far:
> >
> >      $ sudo add-apt-repository 'ppa:lemonsqueeze/trusty'
> >      $ sudo apt-get update
> >      $ sudo apt-get install pachi-engine
> >
> >(turns out there's already a 'pachi' package in the trusty repositories
> >(a "2D platform game featuring Pachi el marciano...") so it's called
> >pachi-engine for now.)
> >
> >There are still issues with the i386 build but amd64 looks good.
> >
> >I threw the seki branch in there but should work with any.
> >Also added some debian patches to make defaults nicer for new users
> >(maybe could have some of them in the main tree too, like auto detecting
> >number of threads) and, short of a man page, some brief help.
> >
> >Let me know what you think,
> >
> >Cheers
> >

> Hi,
>
> I was thinking it'd be cool to have a ubuntu package for Pachi, would make
> it more accessible for people who are new to Pachi / wouldn't normally
> compile it for themselves. Also didn't realize at first, with dcnn support
> even small laptops can run Pachi at dan strength now, this could be
> potentially interesting for a lot of people i guess.
>
> So the idea was: 3 packages for pachi, pachi-data and caffe so you could
> apt-get install pachi and have Pachi all setup with dcnn, large patterns and
> all in no time.
>
> I had a vague idea packaging caffe was going to be hellish but thought it
> might be worth a shot anyway. Here's what i got so far:
>
>      $ sudo add-apt-repository 'ppa:lemonsqueeze/trusty'
>      $ sudo apt-get update
>      $ sudo apt-get install pachi-engine
>
> (turns out there's already a 'pachi' package in the trusty repositories
> (a "2D platform game featuring Pachi el marciano...") so it's called
> pachi-engine for now.)
>
> There are still issues with the i386 build but amd64 looks good.
>
> I threw the seki branch in there but should work with any.
> Also added some debian patches to make defaults nicer for new users
> (maybe could have some of them in the main tree too, like auto detecting
> [...]

				Petr Baudis
	If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,
	you can do almost anything. -- Geoffrey Hinton