[Pachi] Play multiple games per descent ?

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Tue May 17 17:12:17 CEST 2016

  This was one of the ideas when people were exploring MCTS
parallelization, to batch playouts and play them in parallel after
a single descent - it's essentially something very similar to what
you described.  But it didn't work really well, the details are in
the respective papers.

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 05:05:24PM +0200, lemonsqueeze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Playing with my moggy test suite got me wondering about the difference
> between raw playout speed and in-game speed (about 2200 games/s vs
> 1600 games/thread/s here)
>
> I guess it's probably unreasonable to expect something similar with the
> additional thread synchro and tree logic, but still it got me wondering:
> since we're going to visit each node many times, would it make sense to play
> more than one game per descent ? I'm playing with this patch in my
> uct_multigames branch, playing 100 games makes it about 10% faster (~1800
> games/s)
> Does this sound like a good idea at all ?
>
> It seems to be losing a lot though, maybe this just breaks uct badly =)
>
> Cheers

				Petr Baudis
	If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,
	you can do almost anything. -- Geoffrey Hinton